Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Gram's House

by Meredith

Thankfully I haven't had hard change forced upon me for most of my life - up until the last year and a half.  I loved that, even though experienceing change is a good thing, because no matter what change happens.  It's inevitable.

This past weekend we moved my Grandma into an assisted living community.  Her place is beautiful and looks like a one bedroom condo I would purchase.  Also, it's super close to our home in Richfield.  It just got too be to much - helping her and my mom.

I always knew this day was coming, but wasn't sure when and never wanted to be the one to pull the trigger.  We had to do it though.

It's a strange feeling doing something you know you have to do, but really don't want to in fear of the impact.  When we were moving things Miranda Lambert's the House that Built Me kept playing over and over in my head.  I kept thinking about all the times I walked into her kitchen and she was sitting there in the same corner spot beneath the radio with a cup of coffee. She had lived there since 1952 when my grandpa built it and they moved from Iowa.  My mom was raised there, I stayed there all the time growing up and majority of holidays were celebrated in this home.


Then I started to think of all the new memories yet to be made.  She feels good and looks good.  Not everything will go away.  It's just a house after all and she can't take care of it, or herself, the way she use to.

It's funny too - I went to church Sunday and the sermon was on change, and how Autumn symbolizes change and the ability to let things go - just like the trees do when they drop their leaves.  Only then, when you are emptied, can you make room for more - something new.

It will be ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment