Monday, August 23, 2010

For the Love of the Fair: The Great Minnesota Get Together is Still Great

I have gone to the Minnesota State Fair every year of my life. Even when I was not even a year old, my parents stuck me in a stroller and carted me around the grounds. It's been a yearly tradition ever since. Before me, both of my parents went - every year. I guess you could say this tradition has run in the family since my great grandparents moved to Minneapolis from Iowa many years ago.

Every year, my day at the fair consists of the same things, it's almost like a 'yearly routine.' This doesn't mean I find it boring, I actually still enjoy it year after year. I find it comforting almost. Through the entrance off Como Avenue. Past the raft ride. Right, to the corn dog stand. Left to the French fries. Back across the street to the Dairy Building for milkshakes. Kitty-corner to the Agriculture Horticulture Building to look at the biggest vegetables. Out the other side to the Food Building, where the cheese curd stand is. Then outside to watch the parade and shop at the Bazaar. Then do the Skyride and Midway...

Nearly 2 million people are expected to attend the fair this year and most like me that keep coming back each year have their own approach.

Some will go for the long day, sopping up enough of the deep-friend, sugar-coated, high-volume, shoulder-rubbing experience to hold them over for another year. Some will visit in several short, four-to six-hour bursts. Some will go early in the day. Others won't show up until late to hit the midway and watch the fireworks.

Regardless of how you 'do the fair,' the event is nice because you don't have to do anything in a specific way. It's a day without rules. You can eat the greasiest food item at 10 in the morning, wear a goofy hat in the shape of a pickle, pig, etc, or watch a concert in the middle of the afternoon, and that's OK. At the fair there are no set meal times. You can do whatever you want.

Check out the Minnesota State Fair here for more information!

No comments:

Post a Comment