Monday, March 8, 2010

Academy Awards Edition

I truly enjoyed the 82nd Academy Awards. I thought they started off on a good note and entertained me the entire time. If you want to check out who won last night, click here.

Neil Patrick Harris started with a song-and-dance number, setting the theme, no on wants to do it alone. Continuing in that theme, the two hosts, Steve Martin and Alec Baldwin descended from the sky and warmed up the audience with little teasers.

They worked their way through the nominees with edgy jokes.
  • In 'Inglorious Basterds,' Christoph Waltz is obsessed with finding Jews. Well Christoph," gesture to the audience, "the mother lode."
  • 'Precious,' "it really was the only film that lived up to its video game."
There were many Meryl Streep references and shots of a stone-faced George Clooney, but Martin and Baldwin were funny throughout. They were unafraid to appear in a double Snuggie backstage and introduced presenters with flair, "He directed ' A Single Man,' she weighs a single pound, Tom Ford and Sarah Jessica Parker", and did their best to keep things moving.

Other highlights from the night in my book included:

  • A John Hughes memorial which displayed a montage of work he had done and monologues from a few people Hughes made famous.
  • A very nice, yet simple, memorial to all the actors, actresses, musicians, producers, editors, PR, etc. in the film industry who passed in the last year. However, I was surprised that Farrah Fawcett was left off the list. I wonder how come.
  • Teams from the 'So You Think You Can Dance' performed to the scores up for Best Music - Original Score.
  • In my opinion, great speeches came from Oprah Winfrey, who praised Gabourey Sidibe for her nomination for best leading actress, Sandra Bullock who gave an emotional and hilarious speech, in which she thanked, among many others, those who supported her when "it was not fashionable," and Mo'Nique who won for Best Support Actress; she always gives a moving an powerful speech.
  • I laughed out loud when Ben Stiller presented the award for best makeup in full Na'vi, down to the tail. He was hilarious when commenting that he dressed up like this and 'Avatar' wasn't even nominated in this category.
  • The first win for a woman for Best Director - Kathryn Bigelow, Director of 'The Hurt Locker' "I hope I'm the first of many," Bigelow said. "I'd love to just think of myself as a filmmaker, and I long for the day when a modifier can be a moot point. But, I'm ever grateful if I can inspire some young, intrepid, tenacious male or female filmmakers and have them feel that the impossible is possible."

No comments:

Post a Comment