Friday, November 4, 2011

Barn Quilts

by Meredith

I have family in Storm Lake, Iowa and made a trip to see them this fall.  I like going this time of year because the autumn colors are so beautiful.  Every time I pass the Iowa border, I still have an awe moment at how flat the land is.  It's hard to believe that the corn fields do not go on forever when you're there.  I've taken this ride all of my life and have grown to appreciate the meditation time the car ride allows me.  Also, as I've gotten older I've started to notice the beauty in just what's a around me, even if it is farmland and a lifestyle very different from my own.  It's amazing what can happen when you allow yourself to do this.
On this drive, I noticed a fun, creative trend I never paid attention to before, Barn Quilts. I learned the name from my aunt who said they have been around along time - starting with one woman in Ohio who created a quilt to honor her mother, a master quilter, but then really grew in popularity out of Sac County, Iowa in 2005. What a truly pretty way to add color to the fields.

No comments:

Post a Comment