Monday, September 13, 2010

A Few Words About Randy Moss

Randy likes to talk a lot, usually too much. He's a great football player, but he really has some public relations issues. The Patriots receiver lashed out in a lengthy and passionate news conference after Sunday's 38-24 victory over the Cincinnati Bengals, saying he doesn't feel appreciated in New England and that waiting until the season to get a new contact would be "a smack in the face."

Since his arrival 2007, the unhappy Moss has had three straight 1,000-yard seasons, including a record setting '07 in which he caught 23 touchdowns while helping New England to a perfect 16-0 mark in the regular season.

"It's not that I'm mad or trying to be disgruntled. I'm hurt. You give me a word," he said. "Sometimes you want your boss to tell you you're doing a good job. That's every man or woman who works for somebody. And that's just the way with football. If you do a good job and think that you're doing a good job, you want to be appreciated. I really don't think that - me, personally - that I'm appreciated." Bug, Moss who complained that reporters twist his words around, also said in a 16-minute back-and-fort: I'm not saying that I'm not appreciated here." Well, what are you saying then Randy?

"This is the last year of my contract. Nothing has been discussed. There's not been anything said. Not a letter. Nothing," he said. "I'm not saying that I want to stay here, but I love playing here. If the future of my job lets me go to another team, then that's what it's going to be. But for now, I'm still in a contract for the New England Patriots, and I have a job to do.

Randy has had a trail of on-field accomplishments and off-field problems over his 13 years of professional football. All of his talent has been marred by rancorous departures from Minnesota, Oakland and the Raiders. "When it comes to football, I take my job seriously," he said. "But I think around here in the New England area, a lot of people don't want to see me do good. And the reason why, I don't know. I really don't care. ...Me being unhappy doesn't have anything to do with me toning my game down. I'm here, and I understand my role. My role is to take the ball deep and take the top off the defense."

Then when asked who wants him to fail, Moss said "I'm just thinking that the journey I've taken to get to where I'm at, 13 years, I don't really feel that I'm very liked. And I'm not saying from you all. I don't really give a damn if you like me, to be honest with you."

Moss is an interesting, very talented sports star. He could use some media training too. Of course his large ego gets in the way and gets him in a lot of trouble. This is the center of why it would be hard to be his publicist. I don't think there is a thing Randy Moss can do to change his reputation now - he has been the same his whole career. Good thing he is good at football, because that's why people want to have him around; nothing else.

No comments:

Post a Comment