Sunday, October 18, 2009

Letterman's Tragically Creative Statement

I've always been a fan of David Letterman and his show, especially since I visited the Ed Sullivan Studio for a taping of The Late Show a few years ago. I was very curious about the news of Letterman's affair and want to know how it will play out.

From a PR perspective, I see Letterman's surprising announcement as a nightmare for any publicist. However, the more I think about the way Letterman gave the news, the more entertaining and clever I see it as. For someone who being blackmailed and never does interviews, I think it's a very honest, great, disastrous idea.

When in a situation like this, there are not many options to take. Letterman could have done nothing and paid off the accuser. He could have held a press conference to make the announcement, or he could have said nothing directly to the media, handled it as a legal matter and just let the media find information out on their own.

For a horrible PR situation, I really think Letterman came up with a witty way to handle a tough personal issue. Now, I'm interested to know if this incident will affect his popularity at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment