Monday, October 12, 2009

Is Internet Really the Only Affective Way to Reach People With News?

In case you haven't heard, the news industry is suffering and needs a face lift. Recently, a fellow journalism major and I went back to our undergraduate college, the University of St. Thomas (UST), for a visit. I ran into my old broadcast journalism instructor and learned that the ENTIRE student news outreach has changed and is being done through the Internet on a new website: http://www.tommiemedia.com/

The website has completely taken over the well respected weekly school newspaper, The Aquin and the previous monthly produced UST TV news show, Campus Scope. Just like the past news media outlets, the news media website offers paid positions to its directors and editors, and offers educational positions in other areas of the journalism world.

Before I start sounding too negative about change, I want to make it clear that I am very excited for UST and the Journalism Department. I looked at the TommieMedia website and think it looks great. It does a nice job of intertwining broadcast and print journalism in a professional way. (Even though I was sad to see something so important to my fellow journalism students had changed in such a short time after our graduation.)

However, I am wondering if the Internet is the only way the news outlets can reach their target publics? These days I only hear that you need to get your words or products online somehow, either through a website, social media outlet, blog, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment