Thursday, September 6, 2012

Dorine

by Meredith

Last Friday I lost a very special person in my life, my great aunt Dorine.  She was a wonderful woman.  She was someone I always looked up to and I will deeply miss her.  Even though she lived in Storm Lake, Iowa we saw each other at least a few times of year.  She lived almost 92 years on this earth, however it was still a shock.  She never had any big health problems and overcame many obstacles.  I guess I thought she would be here forever.  A little over a week ago, she suffered a massive stroke suddenly, and could not recover.

Growing up the oldest of eight kids on a farm, she never had a lot.  She didn't even finish high school - dropping out in 9th grade to help take care of her younger siblings.  She loved all of her family and friends and was always happy.  She never complained about anything - the little she had, the things that disappointed her in life or her health.  She always opened her home up to anyone who needed a place to stay and welcomed all visitors.  She had a strong faith and read scripture every day and said prayers very often for those who needed it. 

I love you Dorine and will miss you.  I know you'll always be with me.  I hope someday I can appreciate everything I have as much as you did and take on all of life's challenges with everything I have - just like you.
{Dorine and my Grandma Helen}

No comments:

Post a Comment