Monday, November 1, 2010

Oh Farve...

In the two to three months since Brett Favre has decided to play another season on the Vikings, he has gone from hero to zero, making the PR buzz Minnesota football and the NFL had going become a PR nightmare. The word going around now is that Favre's devotion to his self-glorifying consecutive games-played streak is stronger than his devotion to this teammates and to winning a game - that he is keeping the Vikings back from their full potential.

Many football fanatics will still argue that Brett Favre is one of the best QBs in history, but I hope for his sake this isn't the way he goes into retirement. Who wants to be remembered for leaving their all-star athlete career by being hauled off the field, having a broken ankle, throwing numerous interceptions and just being looked at as the 'old' guy on the field?

From a PR standpoint, it's hard to say what should be done or said. I don't want Favre to play because he looks like he is in so much pain and I feel like he could get hurt severely at any time. However, the entire idea of his coming back has been blown so out of proportion that I feel he must play for the rest of the season and just keep saying he's giving it all he's got.

I'm sad to say I don't like to watch Vikings games anymore - they're too painful. I really like the team overall, even Favre, but they aren't playing well together. After yesterday's loss, putting them at 2-5, I'm not sure if they're even eligible to be in the playoffs. Every week it's a back and forth debate whether or not Favre will play the following week. I feel like this summer never ended because all we heard on the news in sports was whether or not Favre was coming back for another season. Don't worry though - next weekend's status is already clear because Favre made a statement, he'll be back next week to play against the cardinals. "I'm ready for next week's game, no body knows my body like I do. I think I'll be alright, ready to play next week. I'm shocked I was able to play and move around the way I was. ...my prayers were answered I expect to play (all season). I made my decision to come back, and I feel like this team is close."

No comments:

Post a Comment